Wednesday, 15 June 2022

Sunday June 12, 2022

Prairie sky.

Got up just before 8 and headed straight for breakfast, as they only serve it from 6:30 – 8:30.  We sat with a couple from Minneapolis and had a nice visit with them – he was a judge for 32 years.  I went back to the room and had a nap, then headed up to the lounge and took a few photos.  We stopped in Saskatoon mid-morning to fuel up, fill up the water and empty the sewage.  We were able to get off the train for some fresh air so we walked all the way up to the front of the train and back.

At lunch we sat with a couple from Georgia.  It looked like a thunderstorm up ahead, and as we left the dining car, I got a tornado text alert.  I saw some lightening and we’ve had a bit of rain on and off, but no tornados.

The result of the stormy weather was this rainbow that was visible for at least half an hour.

We spent yesterday in the dome car and the lounge, but today I am happy to hang out in our room and relax.  Socializing at mealtimes is enough socializing for me.

We freshened up with showers and mid-afternoon Daniel, one of our stewards, knocked on the door with brie and crackers and took our drink orders.  I can’t emphasize enough how spoiled we are, and we have Joyce to thank for it.

We passed several potash mines throughout the day – this one was the biggest by far.

During dinner we rode alongside the Qu’appelle Valley which is very lush and green this time of year.  Unfortunately, it has experienced some flooding this spring, and some of the fields are still flooded.


After dinner we went to the lounge to see the gorgeous prairie sunset, which seems to last forever.  Because we are in the second seating for lunch and dinner, and because we are near the summer solstice, I forget how late it is when it is still light out.

We learned of a first aid situation that had happened earlier in the afternoon.  A gentleman lost his balance and hit his shin on a step.  He is on blood thinners, so even though it was a minor injury, it now looks like someone was murdered in the lounge.  The staff almost called Brad and Bill, the other nurse, but didn’t want to bother them.  We kind of wish they had because we ended up sitting at Watrous for a very long time while they waited for an ambulance.  He didn't need an ambulance, so it was a bit of a waste of time, but of course they wanted to cover their behinds in case it was more serious than it looked.

We ended up socializing for a bit, and met 2 young men, one from Melbourne and the other lives in Toronto.  He said he was from a small town in Ontario, so I asked him where, and he said Fergus.  He was very pleased that I knew of the town and had been there.  They have a huge Highland games every year, and my very first dance competition when I was a child was Fergus.  I went back to Ontario in my late teens to visit family and competed in Fergus again.

We got into Winnipeg at about 3:30 in the morning, much later than scheduled.  By the time they changed crews, took on supplies for the rest of the trip, filled and emptied what needed filling and emptying and waited for freight trains to pass, we didn’t leave Winnipeg until nearly 6:30 (usually it takes about an hour to do the changeover).

I will leave you with our beautiful sunset.



No comments:

Post a Comment