We had a much-needed sleep-in this morning. This is the darkest hotel room we have stayed in by far, which really helped.
We ate a
delicious breakfast in the hotel dining room.
As we were leaving our waitress asked if I would like a tea to go with a
fresh tea bag, which I accepted. It made
me absurdly happy for some reason – maybe all I need in life is an unexpected
free tea every once in a while!
We headed
out on our hike around the lake, me with tea in hand (which, along with the 3
cups I had with breakfast, meant 3 bladder stops on the hike). We found the trail was closed part way
around, as it is elk calving season, and the cows defend their calves very
aggressively. They calve on an island in
the middle of the Athabasca River, then cross back with the babies and live
between the lake and the river, too close to the trail for all involved.
We walked
back around to our cabin then continued in the other direction around the lake
as far as we could until we reached the place where it was closed at the other
end, almost 5 kms in total.
Then we
gathered up our laundry and headed to town.
We filled up the gas tank, and wandered around a bit while waiting for the laundry to be
done. We may also have stopped at Tim’s. We drove past my old apartment, which
looks almost the same as it did 35 years ago when I lived there, just a bit
more colourful.
We stopped
at the grocery store on our way home to pick up a couple of things for dinner
to go with our leftover pizza from last night.
As we were driving back to the resort, we noticed an RV stopped ahead of
us. Narrow road, no shoulder – there
must be an animal somewhere. The car in
front of us stopped and the occupant’s got out. There were cars coming in the opposite direction so we couldn’t pass. When we finally got the opportunity to pass,
we saw that there were several cars stopped ahead of the RV too. This is one of my biggest pet peeves about
Banff and Jasper, so I rolled down my window and yelled at everyone for
stopping in the middle of the road as we went by. I don’t know if they heard me and even
if they did, I’m sure they didn’t care, but it made ME feel better anyway! And I managed to get two pictures of the
grizzly – without blocking traffic!
I should
mention that the weather has been pretty good since we left home a week
ago. Overall, mostly overcast with some
sun for anywhere from a few minutes to half a day, and occasional showers
nearly every day.
I had a
little panic when we were packing for the train. We must have 3 days’ worth of clothes in our
carry-ons, as we won’t have access to our checked luggage while on the
train. I couldn't find one of my
shirts, so called the Banff Springs hotel, and sure enough, I left it in the
room yesterday morning. I had washed it
out and hung it in the bathroom to dry.
After much discussion, Olivier is UPSing it to the Fairmont Chateau
Frontenac at no charge to myself, so it will be waiting for me in Quebec City
when we arrive in 8 days. Amazing
service!
We spent
the rest of the afternoon in the cabin, and I managed to get another 2 days
posted to my blog. I took this photo at
10:45 at night.








No comments:
Post a Comment