Well today is laundry day, so while I wait for my clothes to dry, I'll update you on my adventures.
Last night was the Tattoo, and it certainly did not disappoint! We could hear the fighter jet fly over, but unfortunately couldn't see it because of the low cloud. Morgan Bamford (world champion from New Zealand) is the featured dancer, and she and all the other dancers were amazing. I think there was much more Highland dancing than last time, in addition to the dancers from Singapore, India (must be from northern India, as they looked more Nepalese), Trinidad and Tobago and New Zealand. Not to mention the pipes, drums and marching bands.
Today I decided it was time for some excercise, so I started the day by walking up Calton Hill, which is quite close to where I'm staying. There are some nice views of the city from there, plus a half finished replica of the Parthenon. Then I cut across the old town at Holyrood Palace, and climbed up to Arthur's Seat. This is the top of an extinct volcano behind the palace, and you can see across the Firth of Forth to Fife, as well as the whole Old Town and New Town.
When I climbed back down I headed up the Mile to the North Bridge, then up Princes Street to Charlotte Street. Oh the shopping! If only I had room in my backpack...
Walked through the Edinburgh Book Fair, where Herself was giving a talk yesterday. Then toured Georgian House, which has been restored to its original late 1700's glory. Then back to the hostel for dinner and laundry.
I'll post photos later! Oh and I've booked myself into the hostel at New Lanark for 3 nights after I leave here, if any of you care to look it up.
No comments:
Post a Comment