Wednesday, 13 August 2014

I Have Arrived

After spending eight long hours at YVR yesterday (something I never want to do again) I have learned my lesson and will book my Harbour Air flight more than 5 days before I want to leave next time.  Somehow I managed to forget that I had to get off the island to start this trip!  The flight was uneventful, apart from the inevitable crying babies.  Don't worry, no puke.  Those of you who have traveled Air Transat before will be pleased to know that they've upgraded to a newer plane with touch screens on this run.   I impress easily.

I sat beside a nice couple from Prestwick who had been visiting their son, who is going to Bible college on Thetis Island.  Who knew there was a Bible college on Thetis Island?

I splurged on a cab to the hostel (bit of a hairy ride) and arrived about 5 hours before check in (cue repeat of YVR hell yesterday).  Ok, not really, there has been lots more to do here, even though I'm doing it all in a haze because I've been up 26 hours now!

I checked in the giant backpack to storage and switched to the mid-sized backpack. Then walked a pleasant 5 minutes in sunny breezy weather to Sainsburies, kind of like Tesco Express, but at a gas station.  Managed to get some fresh fruit and veg and avoid most of the overly processed stuff.  Pleasant walk back to the hostel to pack a lunch and head across the street to Kelvingrove Park.  (Speaking of crossing the street, I feel I take my life in my hands at every corner unless the traffic is forced to stop at a red light).  Sat on a bench and ate while listening to ... wait for it ... a pipe band.  Apparently everyone is feverishly practicing for Worlds later this week, and Kelvingrove is the place to do it.  This band was from New Zealand, I also watched one from Portland.  There are always at least two playing at any one time (it's a big park).  Literally since I got here 6 hours ago I have been listening to pipes.  And when the pipes stop for a bit the snare drummers are practising.  My room faces away from the park so I can't hear them from there, but in the conference room one floor below a bunch of people are practicing the chanter. For those of us who miss hearing the pipes when we're in our rooms.

I am staying in a 4 bed dorm on the second floor (like our third floor). And with the high ceilings that's 53 steps.  Fifty.....three.....steps.  Two of the beds were taken when I finally got in to the room.  I'm only sharing with these people tonight then I move to another dorm room for my other 3 nights.  I haven't met them yet but they can party all night in the room if they want and I won't hear a thing.

Getting back to my adventures, I wandered around the park for a while until I figured out how to get to Kelvingrove Museum.  I probably walked 3 times the distance I needed to, but didn't trust myself to read a map in my state of sleeplessness.  I figured I'd get there eventually.  There is no admission but I donated £1 and got great value.  I saw the Spitfire!

Well that is the extent of my adventures today thus far.  Time to get some dinner and head to bed early. Will post photos tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment